DelveInsight’s Diabetic Macular Edema Market report offers detailed information on current treatment practices, emerging drugs, Diabetic Macular Edema market share of the individual therapies, current and forecasted Diabetic Macular Edema market size from 2018 to 2030 segmented into 7MM (the USA, EU5 (the UK, Italy, Spain, France, and Germany), and Japan).
Key highlights from the Diabetic Macular Edema Market Report
- The total Diabetic Macular Edema prevalent population in the 7MM was 1,862,529 in 2020. The United States accounted for the maximum DME prevalent cases, while France reported the least.
- The DME prevalence shall further rise owing to an increase in the ageing population and a shift towards the sedentary lifestyle of the people.
- The present Diabetic Macular Edema therapeutic market is primarily dominated by Anti-VEGF therapies (Eylea, Lucentis and off-label Avastin) as the first-line defense treatment for DME.
- Due to low price and comparable efficacy to Eylea and Lucentis, the majority of physicians still prefer Avastin (bevacizumab) as an off-label therapy. In the US, currently, around 50% of DME patients are treated with first-line off-label Avastin.
- Corticosteroids are mostly a second-line treatment option. These anti-inflammatory drugs are usually administered via eye drops, implants, or injections of sustained-release corticosteroids into or around the eye.
- DelveInsight predicts that prolonged ocular half-life therapies with fewer average injections per year, as well as other effective, safe, and innovative approaches are bound to embrace the DME market domain.
- Key DME pipeline therapies expected to enter the market during the forecast period 2021-30 include ADVM-022, GB-102, Faricimab (RG 7716), Beovu (RTH258; brolucizumab), KVD001, APX3330, THR-149, YD-312, LKA651, Abicipar, Luminate (ALG-1001, Risuteganib), KSI-301, Xipere (CLS-TA), among several others.
- Around in one-quarter or more of eyes with centre-involving DME do not achieve complete resolution of the edema with current anti-VEGF therapy and currently, there are no curative treatment options for this refractory pool.
Download report to understand which drug is going to capture the maximum market share @ Diabetic Macular Edema Market Analysis and Forecast
Diabetic Macular Edema is a build-up of fluid in the macula part of the retina due to leaking blood vessels. It is triggered by Diabetic Retinopathy, a complication of Diabetes.
DME affects slightly more males as compared to females. As per DelveInsight’s Diabetic Macular Edema epidemiological analysis, the United States accounted for the highest DME prevalent cases, nearly 55% of the total 7MM cases in 2020.
Diabetic Macular Edema Therapy Market
The therapeutics market for Diabetic Macular Edema comprises Anti-VEGF therapies, namely Eylea and Lucentis, and Avastin as an Off-label therapy. These therapies work by inhibiting the activity of VEGF and improving visual acuity and anatomic results with a low risk of side effects. Besides, two US FDA-approved sustained-release corticosteroid implants for more serious or longer-lasting conditions, Ozurdex and Iluvien, are also available. Generally, Corticosteroid implants are used as a second-line treatment in cases where anti-VEGF injections fail to bring outputs.
At present, there are no curative treatment options in the Diabetic Macular Edema market. Approved Anti-VEGFs put a financial burden on patients; therefore, the DME market has witnessed an off-label use of Avastin (Roche/Genentech), which received approval for the treatment of neovascular AMD and expanded to cover venous occlusive diseases, neovascular glaucoma, choroidal neovascularization unrelated to ME, proliferative DR, and others.
As per the analysis from some studies, it is demonstrated that from 20% to 60% of total DME patients do not respond to Anti-VEGF therapies. Further, the available treatment options target only one pathway, despite the clarity of the multifactorial nature of DME.
Underdiagnoses of the condition, due to the late onset of symptoms, is another major unmet need in the market that leads to a delay in treatment, thus, increasing the chances of permanent vision loss.
Access the sample copy of the report for more details @ Diabetic Macular Edema Market Unmet Needs
Diabetic Macular Edema Market
DelveInsight’s DME market analysis projects a robust pipeline activity consisting of promising emerging drug therapies. With a horde of companies including Adverum Biotechnologies, Graybug Vision, Novartis, KalVista Pharmaceuticals, Ocuphire Pharma, Oxurion, YD Life Science, Allergan (AbbVie)/Molecular Partners, Allergo Ophthalmics/ Bausch Health, Kodiak Sciences, Clearside Biomedical, Roche, and others advancing the R&D, and developing innovative medicines, thereby, adding to the growth of DME market size.
Late-stage pipeline drugs such as Faricimab, Beovu, and KSI-301 are the potential emerging therapies that have shown promising results and are expected to improve the dosing interval.
Key Diabetic Macular Edema Pipeline Therapies and Companies
- ADVM-022: Adverum Biotechnologies
- GB-102: Graybug Vision
- Faricimab (RG 7716): Roche
- Beovu (RTH258; brolucizumab): Novartis
- KVD001: KalVista Pharmaceuticals
- APX3330: Ocuphire Pharma
- THR-149: Oxurion
- YD-312: YD Life Science
- LKA651: Novartis
- Abicipar: Allergan (AbbVie)/Molecular Partners
- Luminate (ALG-1001, Risuteganib): Allergo Ophthalmics/ Bausch Health
- KSI-301: Kodiak Sciences
- Xipere (CLS-TA): Clearside Biomedical
Reach out to us @ Diabetic Macular Edema Marketed Therapies for more information on marketed DME treatment regimens
Diabetic Macular Edema Market Drivers and Barriers
Increasing patient pool of diabetes, personalization of treatment, new pathways and novel approaches are some of the factors, which will drive the DME market growth forward. Globally, the number of patients with diabetes increased from 177 million cases in 2000 to 285 million in 2010 and are estimated to be more than 360 million cases by 2030. With the Increasing prevalence of diabetes across, the number of patients suffering from DME is also expected to rise.
Companies are also working on other novel therapies with novel MOAs, such as THR-149, targeting inhibition of the plasma kallikrein-kinin (PKaI-kinin) system and APX3330 having dual MOA.
In contrast, exorbitant cost, shortage of trained ophthalmologists, lack of awareness of eye conditions, underdiagnoses of DME, and entry of biosimilars are likely to hinder the DME market growth.
Scope of the Report
Coverage: 7MM (the US, EU5, and Japan)
Study Period: 2018-30
Key Companies: Adverum Biotechnologies, Graybug Vision, Novartis, KalVista Pharmaceuticals, Ocuphire Pharma, Oxurion, YD Life Science, Allergan (AbbVie)/Molecular Partners, Allergo Ophthalmics/ Bausch Health, Kodiak Sciences, Clearside Biomedical, Roche, and others.
Key Diabetic Macular Edema Pipeline Therapies: ADVM-022, GB-102, Faricimab (RG 7716), Beovu (RTH258; brolucizumab), KVD001, APX3330, THR-149, YD-312, LKA651, Abicipar, Luminate (ALG-1001, Risuteganib), KSI-301, Xipere (CLS-TA), and others.
Diabetic Macular Edema Market Segmentation: By Geography, By Diabetic Macular Edema Therapies
Analysis: Comparative and conjoint analysis of Diabetic Macular Edema emerging therapies
Tools used: SWOT analysis, Conjoint Analysis, Porter’s Five Forces, PESTLE analysis, BCG Matrix analysis methods.
Table of Contents
|2||Diabetic Macular Edema Market Report Introduction|
|3||Diabetic Macular Edema Market Overview at a Glance|
|4||Executive Summary of Diabetic Macular Edema|
|5||Disease Background and Overview|
|6||Algorithm for Diagnosis of Diabetic Macular Edema|
|8||Diabetic Macular Edema (DME) Epidemiology and Patient Population|
|9||Treatment Algorithm, Current Treatment, and Medical Practices|
|10||Diabetic Macular Edema Epidemiology and Patient Population|
|11||Country Wise-Epidemiology of Diabetic Macular Edema|
|10||Diabetic Macular Edema Treatment|
|13||Key Endpoints of Diabetic Macular Edema (DME) Treatment|
|14||Diabetic Macular Edema Emerging Therapies|
|15||Diabetic Macular Edema: 7 Major Market Analysis|
|16||Diabetic Macular Edema Market Unmet Needs|
|18||Diabetic Macular Edema Market Drivers|
|19||Diabetic Macular Edema Market Barriers|
DelveInsight is a leading Business Consultant, and Market Research Firm focused exclusively on life sciences. It supports pharma companies by providing end-to-end comprehensive solutions to improve their performance.
Company Name: DelveInsight Business Research LLP
Contact Person: Ankit Nigam
Email: Send Email
Address:304 S. Jones Blvd #2432
State: New York
Country: United States