Primary Cell Culture Industry Overview
The global primary cell culture market size was valued at USD 3.4 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 8.0 billion by 2028, projecting to expand at a CAGR of 11.6% during forecast period.
The market growth can be primarily attributed to the increasing prevalence of chronic conditions, such as cancer, infections, autoimmune diseases, diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular diseases, and nephrological diseases. This has led to an increase in research, facilitating the high adoption of primary cell cultures.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Primary Cell Culture Market
According to the American Cancer Society, there are an estimated 16.9 million cancer patients/survivors in 2020. According to the WHO (2020), 71.0 million people worldwide are suffering from chronic hepatitis C infection. Hence, the rising number of chronic disorders being diagnosed is driving the demand for research on advanced therapies, which is expected to boost the market growth in the coming years.
In addition, the rising usage of primary cell cultures for in-vitro testing and drug screening can be further attributed to the growth of the market for primary cell culture. These are derived from tissues, which facilitates researchers to study cellular structure in the in vivo state, showcasing their normal functioning. As a result, they are used as model systems to study cell biochemistry and physiology, aging processes, signaling studies, and metabolic processes, as well as the effect of toxic compounds and drugs.
COVID-19 pandemic is acting as a positive catalyst for the growth of the market for primary cell culture. Researchers are increasingly using primary cell culture for understanding the infection. Standardized and characterized epithelium cell culture models are facilitating the understanding of the physical barrier destroyed by the coronavirus. These models can help mimic the functions and properties of the respiratory tract, leading to a breakthrough for a research outcome turning into a medical application.
Moreover, the primary immune cell culture has been proven to be very beneficial in the study of immune repertoire to produce antibodies and antigens for the COVID-19 virus. As per the findings by the scientists from the German Primate Center in Gottingen, the COVID-19 virus could block the infection in lung cells with TMPRSS2, an inhibitor for serine protease. The results have been validated with the experiment using primary cell culture.
Primary Cell Culture Market Segmentation
Based On the Product Insights, the market is segmented into primary cells, reagents and supplements and media
- The reagents and supplements segment dominated the market for primary cell culture and accounted for the largest revenue share of 34.0% in 2020. The growth in the segment is owing to its routine application in research and manufacturing involving primary cell culture.
- The primary cells segment is expected to witness the fastest CAGR of 11.8% over the forecast period. This growth can be attributed to the rising identification of primary cells for treating different diseases.
Based On the Separation Methods Insights, the market is segmented into explant method, enzymatic degradation, mechanical separation and others
- The enzymatic degradation segment dominated the market for primary cell culture and accounted for the largest revenue share of 33.3% in 2020. The large share of the segment is owing to its high preference over other techniques for separation of primary cells due to the advantages such as less damage to cultures, comparatively fast, and high yield of a representative sample.
- In enzymatic degradation, trypsin dominated the market for primary cell culture in terms of revenue share in 2020 owing to its high application for enzymatic disaggregation of tissues. The enzyme has wide application for dissociation of cells from tissues, processing of adhesive cells from flasks, and rapid passaging of large cell suspension.
- The mechanical separation segment is expected to witness a lucrative CAGR of 11.7% over the forecast period owing to the advancements in the mechanical separation process. The study concluded that the technique allowed a purity rate of around 80% for human dermal microvascular endothelial cells as compared to conventional techniques.
Based On the Cell Type Insights, the market is segmented into animal and human.
- The animal cells segment dominated the market for primary cell culture and accounted for the largest revenue share of 58.6% in 2020. The growing applications of animal origin primary cells for vaccine development are major factors fueling the segment growth. Animal-derived primary cultures have been used for the development of vaccines against rabies, polio, measles, chickenpox, and hepatitis B.
- The human cells segment is expected to witness substantial growth over the forecast period. The growth in the segment is majorly due to the rising application of human-derived primary cultures for cancer research. Primary human cancer cells are sourced from a variety of tissue types such as brain, muscle, and connective tissue to facilitate the physiologically relevant study of cancer.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into tissue culture & tissue engineering, vaccine production, gene therapy and regenerative medicine, toxicity testing and drug screening, cancer research, model system, virology, prenatal diagnosis, stem cell therapy and others.
- The vaccine production segment dominated the market for primary cell culture and held the largest revenue share of 12.2% in 2020. This growth is owing to the increasing use of primary animal cultures for virus production that is later used for producing several vaccines
- The stem cell therapy segment is expected to witness a lucrative CAGR of 11.9% over the forecast period. The growth of the segment is attributed to the growing attention of scientists over the world for conducting various research projects using stem cells.
- Research studies using embryonic, induced, and adult stem cells are rapidly changing the way researchers perceive primary cells. In addition, stem cell-based therapies have shown great potential and applications in neurodegenerative diseases, ocular diseases, diabetes, dentistry, and others
Based on the Regional Insights, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the primary cell culture market and accounted for the largest revenue share of 52.6% in 2020 and is expected to continue this trend over the forecast period. The growth in this region can be attributed to high healthcare expenditure, growing geriatric population, rising incidence of chronic diseases, and supportive government funding.
- Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest-growing region over the forecast period. The growth is primarily owing to the lower costs associated with stem cell transplantation in the region, thereby contributing to the high demands. In addition, researchers are conducting extensive R&D activities which can be further attributed to the region’s growth.
Browse through Grand View Research’s Biotechnology Industry Research Reports.
- Stem Cells Market – The global stem cells market size generated a revenue of USD 9.38 billion in 2020. It is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.8% from 2021 to 2028. The factors contributing to the growth include increasing demand for biologics, technological advancement in stem cell therapeutics, and a growing focus on the development of personalized medicines. The increasing focus on the treatment of neurological disorders contributes to the market expansion.
- Cell And Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market – The global cell and gene therapy manufacturing market size was valued at USD 13.1 billion in 2020 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 20.3% from 2021 to 2028. The emergence of advanced therapies has played a major role in reshaping the biopharmaceutical industry as well as transformed the treatment paradigm of several life-threatening and rare diseases. The exponential growth of the advanced therapy landscape is a key driving factor for the growth of the market.
Market Share Insights:
- February 2021: Researchers at the Garvan Institute of Medical Research identified a novel bone cell type that may generate new therapeutic targets and approaches for osteoporosis and other skeletal diseases.
- January 2021: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. launched a new medium for the expansion of human T lymphocytes for allogeneic cell therapies.
- October 2020: iBio, Inc., a U.S.-based biotechnology company, signed a strategic agreement with Safi Biosolutions, Inc. for the development of growth factors and cytokines using iBio’s FastPharming System.
Key Companies Profile:
The companies are launching new and advanced products for primary cell culture. The new Gibco CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM helps in enhancing donor T (lymphocyte) cell proliferation. It is a new media solution for targeting the metabolism of healthy donors, for the efficient production of cost-effective cell therapies.
Some of the prominent players in the primary cell culture market include:
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Corning Incorporated
- PromoCell GmbH
- FUJIFILM Irvine Scientific, Inc.
- Axol Bioscience Ltd.
Order a free sample PDF of the Primary Cell Culture Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research is a full-time market research and consulting company registered in San Francisco, California. The company fully offers market reports, both customized and syndicates, based on intense data analysis. It also offers consulting services to business communities and academic institutions and helps them understand the global and business scenario to a significant extent. The company operates across multitude of domains such as Chemicals, Materials, Food and Beverages, Consumer Goods, Healthcare, and Information Technology to offer consulting services.
Company Name: Grand View Research, Inc.
Contact Person: Sherry James, Corporate Sales Specialist – U.S.A.
Email: Send Email
Address:Grand View Research, Inc. 201 Spear Street 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105, United States
City: San Francisco
Country: United States