Downstream Processing Market Overview
The global downstream processing market size was estimated at USD 21.4 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 69.6 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 15.9% from 2021 to 2028.
A rise in the utilization of downstream processing techniques for the development of COVID-19 vaccines is a significant factor driving the market. In February 2021, Rentschler Biopharma; a Germany-based contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO) announced to start commercial manufacture, formulation, and downstream processing of CVnCoV COVID-19 candidate vaccine by CureVac. Similarly, Bayer also announced to manufacture 160 million doses of CVnCoV in 2022.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Downstream Processing Market
In January 2021, Thermo Fisher Scientific announced that it supported 250 projects for COVID-19 therapy as well as vaccine production in 2020. The company leverages its CDMO capabilities as well as its bioprocess consumables and equipment offerings for these projects. It has also partnered with Singapore and the U.S. government to expand its vaccine and therapy development capacities. Similar efforts have been made by EMD Millipore, Cytiva, Pall Biotech, and other companies to use their bioprocess offerings for COVID-19 therapeutics development.
A rise in R&D activities pertaining to advanced bioprocess technologies has resulted in the adoption of continuous downstream processing systems for multicomponent separations, perfusion chromatography systems, high-throughput process development, and high-resolution membrane systems. This has led to an increase in the need for improving bioprocessing technologies for addressing the purification bottleneck.
The number of CMOs in the market for downstream processing has increased as outsourcing helps pharmaceutical manufacturers reduce the high initial capital investment and procedure costs. CMOs help drug manufacturers in optimizing downstream purification, in addition to other processes such as cell culture preparation, chromatography, mixing, concentration, process monitoring, and disposable technologies.
Downstream Processing Market Segmentation
Based on the Product Insights, the market is segmented into Chromatography Systems, Filters, Evaporators, Centrifuges, Dryers and Others.
- The chromatography systems segment dominated the market for downstream processing and accounted for the largest revenue share of 40.6% in 2020.
- The filters segment is expected to register the fastest CAGR from 2021 to 2028. The rise in the utility of filters for viral inactivation is the key factor driving this market for downstream processing.
Based on the Technique Insights, the market is segmented into Cell Disruption, Solid-liquid separation, Concentration, Purification by Chromatography and Formulation.
- The purification by chromatography segment dominated the downstream processing market and accounted for the largest revenue share of 40.9% in 2020.
- Solid-liquid separation is expected to witness the highest CAGR of 16.9% during the forecast period.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into Antibiotic Production, Hormone Production, Antibodies Production, Enzyme Production and Vaccine Production.
- The antibiotic production segment dominated the market for downstream processing and generated the largest revenue share of 32.9% in 2020 owing to the wide applications of antibiotics for the treatment of several disorders.
- Antibodies production grew at the fastest rate owing to the rise in demand for monoclonal antibodies. The launch of novel products for efficient purification of antibodies also propels segment growth
Based on the Downstream Processing Regional Insights, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Central & South America, and Middle East & Africa (MEA)
- North America dominated the market for downstream processing with the largest revenue share of 34.6% in 2020 owing to government support for promoting bioprocess technologies, rising medical expenditure, and developed healthcare infrastructure.
- In Asia Pacific, the market for downstream processing is expected to register the highest growth rate of 17.3% due to the rising investments by developers and consumers in the field of biotechnology.
Browse through Grand View Research’s Biotechnology Industry Research Reports.
- Genotyping Market – The global genotyping market was valued at USD 12.65 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 15.6% from 2022 to 2030. The growth can be attributed to technological advancements, the rising prevalence of cancer & genetic disorders, and increasing R&D funding for precision medicine research.
- Synthetic Biology Market– The global synthetic biology market size was valued at USD 8.88 billion in 2020 and is projected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 20.8% from 2021 to 2027.
Market Share Insights:
- June 2020: Corning Incorporated launched the Corning X-SERIES cell processing platform. The X-SERIES products include X-LAB System, X-WASH System, and X-MINI Selection Kit for efficient cell separation and purification. The X-SERIES cell processing platform finds applications in immune cell therapy, bioprocess, personalized medicine, and gene cell therapy fields.
- November 2020: Cytiva entered into deals with Zhifei, Wego, Jinbofor, and Clover to invest in manufacturing, bioprocess development, and research to accelerate therapeutics development in China. The company has a wide range of product portfolios including bioprocess filtration, chromatography products, and cell culture and fermentation processes.
Key Companies Profile:
Companies are increasingly focusing on the development of new products for downstream processing.
Some prominent players in the global downstream processing market include
- GE Healthcare
- Merck KGaA
- Sartorius Stedim Biotech S.A.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Danaher Corporation
- 3M Company
- Eppendorf AG
- Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH
- Corning Corporation
- Lonza Group Ltd
- Dover Corporation
- Ferner PLC
- Ashai Kasei
Order a free sample PDF of the Downstream Processing Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research is a full-time market research and consulting company registered in San Francisco, California. The company fully offers market reports, both customized and syndicates, based on intense data analysis. It also offers consulting services to business communities and academic institutions and helps them understand the global and business scenario to a significant extent. The company operates across multitude of domains such as Chemicals, Materials, Food and Beverages, Consumer Goods, Healthcare, and Information Technology to offer consulting services.
Company Name: Grand View Research, Inc.
Contact Person: Sherry James, Corporate Sales Specialist – U.S.A.
Email: Send Email
Address:Grand View Research, Inc. 201 Spear Street 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105, United States
City: San Francisco
Country: United States