Window Film Industry Overview
The global window film market size was estimated at USD 10.59 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach USD 16.56 billion by 2030, projecting to expand at a CAGR of 5.2% during the forecast period.
Increasing demand for energy-efficient window film is expected to propel market growth during the forecast period. Window films are widely utilized for energy efficiency in heating and cooling purpose in residential and commercial applications commonly in vehicles and windows. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, window film facilitates the average consumption of 30% of heat loss that occurs through windows and doors in homes.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Window Film Market
Improvement in window films facilitates reduction in solar heat gain & winter heat loss in commercial & residential buildings is expected to provide sustainable growth during the forecast years. Building Energy Management Systems (BEMS) is used to effectively conserve energy and improve energy efficiency by creating a stable and sustainable environment in both commercial & residential buildings. An increasing number of green building construction and the development of net zero energy buildings are expected to propel the demand for window film.
However, rising consumer awareness regarding the sustainability and price of window film coupled with growing environmental awareness regarding carbon dioxide emissions and improving energy efficiency is expected to drive the window film market during the forecast years.
Global carbon emission levels have been increasing steadily on account of the population explosion across the Asia Pacific and Latin America coupled with rapid industrialization and an increasing number of passenger cars in recent years. Stringent regulations regarding energy-efficient buildings & vehicles and increasing concerns about the environment and health are anticipated to fuel the demand. A low emissivity (Low-E) film also helps buildings to retain heat during the winter seasons. A Low-E film uses special metallic coatings, which block infrared and ultraviolet rays, and allows maximum visible light to prevent fading of interiors in residential and commercial buildings.
Low-E glasses are replaced with window film owing to a better return on investment and it provides 6.6 times greater energy & cost savings compared to Low-E glasses. Ultraviolet-A (UVA) filtering window film can help in reducing skin cancer and skin damage. Growing consumer disposable income in emerging economies has prompted fuel-efficient passenger cars, coupled with the increasing demand for electric vehicles (EV) which is in the development phase of improving the range of EV, which in turn will drive the market during the forecast years.
However, the presence of strict regulation on tinted films used in automobiles which limits the visible light transmission (VLT) is expected to impact the market growth. Low visibility can lead to theft or accident, especially at night. A lower VLT rating tends to have better glare control whereas a higher rating is preferred for maintaining natural lights. The VLT of widow film is a key part of defining the permissibility of heat protection, UV protection, and security concern. High VLT in window films allows the attention of the police to ensure public safety in the vehicles. Certain countries have exemptions if drivers or passengers are affected by related medical conditions such as lupus, sunlight allergy, photosensitivity, and melanoma. Windows with a high tint can cause dooring incidents to the cyclists and pedestrians owning to low visibility inside & across the vehicle.
Window Film Market Segmentation
Based on the Product Insights, the market is segmented into sun control, decorative, security & safety and privacy
- Sun control product segment led the market and accounted for more than 46.2% share of the global revenue in 2021. Sun control window films are mainly utilized to protect the interior of buildings and provide aesthetic value to the buildings. The increasing use of sun control in residential and commercial applications owing to the occurrence of skin diseases is likely to propel the market.
- Technological improvement of window film helps in reducing solar heat gain & winter heat loss is anticipated to promote a sustainable and comfortable environment in buildings. They find wide application scope including restricting fading of furniture, paints & coatings of rooms, and carpets in residential and commercial applications.
- In the automotive industry, these films are used to reduce solar heat gain and enhance styling and protection. It also protects interior components such as audio equipment, seats, and other electronic devices. These factors are expected to the market during the forecast years.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into automotive, residential, commercial, marine and others
- Automotive application segment led the market and accounted for more than 35.9% share of the global revenue in 2021. The growing trend toward manufacturing lightweight vehicle components owing to the stringent environmental regulations issued by the government to promote fuel economy is expected to increase demand for window films.
- Safety & security window films are used in automotive applications to avoid damage caused by flying shards. Window films protect from UV rays and superior heat control. Recovery of the automobile sector in European countries on account of electric vehicles such as Germany, France, and Italy are expected to positively impact window film demand during the forecast period.
- The commercial application segment is expected to witness potential growth during the forecast period. Increasing urbanization in emerging economies of Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Latin America is expected to drive window film demand for commercial building applications. There is a growing demand for malls, stores, and supermarkets in these regions as consumers are observed to buy goods from a single outlet destination.
Based on the Regional Insights, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Central & South America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the market and accounted for over 32.6% share of the global revenue in 2021. New investments are being made in North America, reflecting a recovery in Canada’s residential & non-residential construction, owing to capital expenditure cuts in the oil & gas sector and the Liberal government’s fiscal stimulus plan to spur new non-residential construction.
- U.S. economy continues to register job growth, lending standards are easing, market fundamentals for commercial real estate continue to improve, and more funding support is coming from state and local construction bond measures. These factors are expected to drive the demand for varied specialized window films in the construction sector, especially for solar control and privacy window film. Solar (sun control) films are expected to grow on account of increasing use of cleaner energy sources and reduce carbon emissions.
- The commercial construction segment in the region is witnessing growth and continued strength in the tourism & hospitality sector with the construction of multiple hotels and even malls, among other commercial spaces. These growing segments in the region will drive the demand for window films during the forecast years.
Market Share Insights:
- October 2021: Eastman Chemical Company acquired the business and assets of Matrix Films, LLC, and its UK affiliate, PremiumShield Limited, marketer of PremiumShield performance films, including its extended line of automotive film patterns.
- January 2021: American Window Film collaborated with 3M Authorized Window Film dealers to install 3M safety & security film on glass doors and windows of school districts. The company is aiming to secure most precious resource of the nation with the help of 3M security films.
Key Companies Profile:
The global market is fragmented in nature with key players facing intense competition from each other as well as from regional players who have strong distribution networks and good knowledge about the suppliers and regulations.
Some prominent players in the global window film market include:
- Eastman Chemical Company
- American Standard Window Film
- Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics Corporation (Solar Gard)
- Madico, Inc.
- Toray Plastics (America), Inc.
- Hanita Coatings RCA Ltd. (Avery Dennison Israel Ltd.)
- Johnson Window Films, Inc.
- Armolan Window Films
- Garware Suncontrol
- Reflectiv Window Films
Order a free sample PDF of the Window Film Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research is a full-time market research and consulting company registered in San Francisco, California. The company fully offers market reports, both customized and syndicates, based on intense data analysis. It also offers consulting services to business communities and academic institutions and helps them understand the global and business scenario to a significant extent. The company operates across multitude of domains such as Chemicals, Materials, Food and Beverages, Consumer Goods, Healthcare, and Information Technology to offer consulting services.
Company Name: Grand View Research, Inc.
Contact Person: Sherry James, Corporate Sales Specialist – U.S.A.
Email: Send Email
Address:Grand View Research, Inc. 201 Spear Street 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105, United States
City: San Francisco
Country: United States